About Fakir Mohan Autonomous College (FM-UNIVERSITY)
Balasore, which evokes an image of intellectual capability of its populace in the country, has a glorious history. The name Balasore originated from a Persian word ‘Bala-e-sar’ meaning a sea- shore town. But the locals believe that the word Balasore is derived from its original Sanskrit root ‘Baneswar’, the citadel of a famous Saivite cult. A north-eastern district of Orissa, Balasore, is surrounded by the Bay of Bengal in the east, the district of Midnapur (West Bengal) in the north-east, the forest of Mayurbhanj & Keonjhar districts in the north and Bhadrak in the south. The town has long been known for its maritime glories, the golden sea-beach and defence establishments at Chandipur.
Originally it was named as Balasore College; Fakir Mohan College was established on 6th July 1944. On 2nd August 1949, it was renamed Fakir Mohan College after the great Oriya poet and novelist Vyasakabi Fakir Mohan Senapati. Since 1946, with the opening of honours in various subjects, the college has carved out a name for itself in the academic echelons of the state. The college has Post Graduate teaching facilities in Commerce (1979-80), Mathematics (1985-86), Physics (1988-89), Political Science (1992-93) and Oriya (1994-95). Conferment of autonomy in 1999 opened up new opportunities and challenges and the college rose to the occasion by capitalizing on the benefits of autonomy. The college also provides Degree Courses (Self Financing) in Business Administration (Hons.), Computer Science (Hons) and One year Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management.